- Use of CFL fluorescent bulbs in nearly all light
- All common area lighting on timers except for emergency
- Parking and entrance lighting uses movement sensors.
- Exterior lighting and sign lighting on timers.
- Staff and guests are requested
to turn off any lights or anything electrical when leaving the
- Window air conditioners used in Summer months are
all Energy Star qualified products.
- Staff and guests are requested
to turn air conditioning units to low when leaving the room.
- Rooms are not air conditioned when unoccupied.
- Programmable thermostats are used to control heat
- Room temperature is lowered overnight.
- When guest
rooms are not occupied, thermostats are lowered.
- Boiler is serviced each year to ensure maximum
operating efficiency and lower fuel consumption.
- Low temperature dishwashing and laundry are used
to reduce the amount of hot water used.
- Guests are encouraged to use drapes or shades to
reduce heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer.
- Low-flow shower heads are installed in all bathrooms.
- Our linen change program allows guests to elect
to reuse their sheets and bath linens in order to reduce water consumption
in our laundry.
- Both our dishwasher and washing machine are high
efficiency machines which use less water.
- Low volume toilet tanks are installed as bathrooms
- Use of native plants that require less
- Drip irrigation system is used for all landscape
watering needs and uses much less water than sprinkler systems.
- Recycling of all plastic, paper, glass, metal, and
batteries is provided.
- Staff are trained to identify any recyclable material
that is mistakenly thrown away.
- Plastic bottles from used room amenities are recycled.
Environmental Cleaning Practices:
- Cleaning products use natural, biodegrade and non-toxic ingredients
which are safe for both people
and the environment.
- Cleaning products used are from companies that provide complete
disclosure of their ingredients.
- All trash bags used are biodegradable.
Food and Beverage:
- Wherever possible we serve eco-friendly food
and beverages that have been organically grown and raised, or local
and thus freshly "harvested".
- We have discontinued the use of bottled water as
from an environmental point of view, tap water is preferable to bottled
water as a beverage. We provide a water cooler in the main house
and water glasses in all rooms. Click
this link for the 2012 Bristol Water Quality Report.
- All food waste is composted and used on our own
- In room amenities are from Gilchrist
and Soames who
have commendable environmental and cruelty free policies.
- We use cotton towels and linens that
do not add VOCs to the air. Over time we plan to replace our towels
with 100% organic towels.
- Organic liquid hand soap is provided in all rooms
to reduce waste from discarded individual soaps.
- Meals are served using reusable dishes, cups, glasses,
mugs, tableware, and serving pieces that are not disposable.
- Organic pine straw is used instead of bark mulch
as it provides better moisture retention, it does not contain any
harmful chemicals, it does not alter the pH of the soil and does
not require the cutting of tress.
- Use of pesticides and all lawn and garden chemicals
are kept to the absolute minimum.
- Plant and lawn clippings are composted.
- We are a non-
smoking property so guestrooms are guaranteed to be safe from the
pollution of smoking.
- All products are sourced locally wherever possible.
- Our new roof used a "green
roofing product" being
made from primarily recycled materials, and one of the few
products available that is actually 100% recyclable itself.
- Both owners drive compact cars that achieve over